History, Vision & Mission
The Natural Capital Coalition is a unique global multi-stakeholder collaboration that brings together leading global initiatives and organizations to harmonize approaches to natural capital. The Coalition is made up of organizations from research, science, academia, business, advisory, membership, accountancy, reporting, standard setting, finance, investment, policy, government, conservation and civil society. These organizations have united under a common vision of a world where business conserves and enhances natural capital. The Coalition’s strength comes from this diversity, and from a shared belief that more can achieved together than alone.
Our theory of change
No individual organization will solve the enormous problems we face by itself, and it is only by working together that we will find the solutions we need.
Our Vision a world where businesses conserve and enhance natural capital
- To bring together the many approaches to natural capital under one vision, sharing and promoting best practice
- To clearly explain why we need to integrate natural capital into decision making
- To develop, test and encourage the use of a standardized Natural Capital Protocol and sector guides
- To support a shift in corporate behaviour to enhance rather than deplete natural capital
- To support the evolution of an enabling policy environment and access to reliable data
On November 6th 2012 international leaders from business, government and non-governmental organizations gathered in Singapore to celebrate the official launch of the TEEB The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity for Business Coalition Headquarters. The ceremony took place as part of the Responsible Business Forum on Sustainable Development.
The TEEB for Business Coalition was formed following this launch as a mechanism to take action and achieve tangible outcomes. It was setup to bring together work being undertaken by business in relation to natural capital, to engage key stakeholders from business, government and civil society for open source collaboration in order to raise awareness and provide a leading edge forum to shape the future of business thinking and action on natural capital.
TEEB for Business evolved to became the Natural Capital Coalition in 2014.