This article was originally posted on The Nature Conservancy.
“In Virginia, more than 1 million acres of longleaf forest extended south from the James River when English settlers arrived in 1607. The trees were the backbone of America’s naval stores, providing masts, waterproof pitch and turpentine. Their “heart pine” provided the frames and floors for colonial homes and businesses.
This sprawling longleaf forest, which helped found the Virginia colony, was harvested to near extinction by 1893. In 2005, a sliver of just 200 native trees remained in Virginia. But a new era of restoration is turning the tide…”
Read on at: The Nature Conservancy.